Thursday, April 26, 2012

Lin

Like I have said before the main reason that I wanted to be a bilingual educator was to get a job in this tough economy (especially in Illinois).  But once I got into my intro to bilingual education course I was exposed to various personal stories that strongly advocate for bilingual education and disproving the myths that I have been exposed to as a child.  I feel as though these personal collective stories truely do "emotionally [bind] people together" not only the ones that have had similar experiences, but those that have not had those experiences as well.  Its called empathy and a community of sincere empathy rather than misjudgement will create change in other communities.  Right now I feel as though I am an culturally cognizant (understanding of what a frustrating or pleasant it can be when clashes of culture or language occur) educator in a community of other TESOL/bilingual educators, our small community at ISU that other communities have influenced.  I know that like most of the country, TESOL was a judged and misunderstood practice that I would imagine ISU did not endorse.  With the personal stories of friends, researchers, and the researched I am aware and emotionally bound to those stories. 
The personal stories that Lin provides fill my heart with empathy (not the traditional empathy of remorse, but one of joy as well).  Wendy's want and need to become bilingual to connect to two cultures resonates in my personal endeavors, and Nobu's teacher Mr. Okuhara inspires me to be that confidant with a student trying to learn another language.  However, when the speakers transition to say that their original confidence and motivation in learning a language turns and becomes a confusion and frustration resonates with me and my struggles with Spanish.  That constant fear, though it is not prevalent in my English speaking skills has become a demon in my Spanish speaking skills.  More practice is essential for me and I try to keep pursuing my dreams of that bilingual understanding.  Their stories obviously turn out well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment