Tuesday, August 28, 2012

First post, wrong blog

Chapters one in the Teaching by Principles: An Interactive Approach to Language Pedagogy was about an example of a lesson with second language learners and with a list of questions as to why the teacher chose certain things the way she did.  Chapter two was more about the history of language learning and went through definitions of methods, approach, curriculum and technique.  The method that I was most familiar with was Krashens, many of the other ones I have never heard of.  As the book and the article mentions it it not wise to just use one method in a classroom. 
I believe that since each learner has a different way of learning then each learner has a different method that works for them.  Not even one method, but I think that each learner may improve from a mix of many methods.  I have been so excited to share that I am working with the ELI this semester and when I tell people this, they are so confused to why I am getting paid to practically talk with ELLs for an hour.  Its a much more complex process than you would think.  As a native speaker it is so hard not to fill in the blanks and talk more than my students.  It baffles me that playing baroque music was essential to one of the language learning methods, even more specifically, "Baroque music, with its 60 beats per minute and its specific rhythm" (27).  Even the silent way, saying that there is no intimidation to speak however, the relation between sounds and language are so strong, I feel this may be a method better suited to a deaf education class.

No comments:

Post a Comment