Monday, September 10, 2012

Kumara's Article and Ch 3 of Brown

Chapter 3 of Brown goes more into detail about the different approaches language teachers take in comummunicative language teaching like learner-centered instruction, cooperative and collaborative learning, interactive learning, whole language education, content-based instruction and task-based instruction.  The book is directed towards already practicing teachers, and as a new tutorial teacher at the ELI I took it upon my self to analyze/start analyzing which aspects of these approaches I use in my classrooms.  I am not required to teach grammar, since I am meant to improve the communication skills of the students in the small 50 minute period that I have them.  But I will say that there are ways of making a communication class non-comunicative like Kumara's article suggests.  Researchers have found "so-called communicative classrooms they examined were anything but communicative" where "form was more prominent than function" (62).  It is hard especially with our culture and as a new teacher to allow for silence and thinking.  One of the things that I was warned before I went to my first class is that new teachers have a tendancy to speak too much, where the object is to get the students to speak.  Ofcourse in different contexts such as English as a Foreign Language, the teacher would have trouble making the students speak in the target language.  Even bilingual teachers will have difficulty having their students communicate in a way that is improving their language. 
Although CLT has been so widely acclaimed the fact that two teachers could be using the same method but for one teacher it is working and for the other teacher it is not working.  However for postmethod pedagogy Kuma says that "Any actual post method pedagogy has to be constructed by teachers themselves by taking into consideration linguistic, social, cultural, and political particularities" (69).  I feel as though the post method pedagogy is very adaptable to specific classes and teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment