Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Marra and Maxims

When I first started reading Marra's Recording and Analyzing Talk Across Cultures, I did not see how it pertained to the classroom.  I can see how the classroom is a work place where communication is critical to learning, but I think that adult communication in the work place for adults is very different than a classroom full of children.  I think that this is true for most cultures.  I question whether one form of talking is culturally driven  and whether one type of talk is more efficient or better than another.  I thought that the purpose for this study was to find a generalization in the talk of the Maori people.  Further more I do not think that the methodology would of the Maori people is very contextualized.
The Linda Tuhiwai Smith (1999) analysis or method for working with Maori people which are, "respect for people; present yourself to people face to face; look, listen...speak; share and host people; be cautious; do not trample over the mana of people; don't flaunt your knowledge."  I thought that not flaunting your knowledge was very interesting.  I feel as though this is not a valued method for the work place or the classroom.  Someone from this culture could act differently in the classroom.  Children are naturally self centered and I believe that as a teacher we are not necessarily keeping that self centeredness but we certainly value many ideas and knowledge about a subject as long as its relevant to the topic.  Where as I am guessing Smith found that ideas are limited to a minimum, since flaunting knowledge is something socially unacceptable and the relevance to the subject must be very strong.
Speaking of relevance, this example directly relates to Grice's Maxims which are found in McKay and Bokhorst-Heng's book in chapter six.  I remember learning about this my introduction to linguistics course and also mentioned it last week in our conversations on what is good writing (another great example of me flaunting my knowledge...).  I really like these guidelines for comparison, but never realized that my interactions could have negative effects in a different culture.
So many times I have heard in parent-teacher conferences that I did not speak up in class enough and I changed based on this critique that I got in lower level grades.  Does this method of analyzing interactions mean that we should not encourage students of a particular culture to speak up during class and share their ideas because of the perceptions that they may have of different Maxims?

No comments:

Post a Comment